Have you ever been shopping online and after clicking "complete purchase", immediately felt buyers remorse? Well, have I got a story for you! First a little background: we have no pets at our house for many reasons, a few of which are most of us are afraid of animals, and we are messy enough ourselves that we just can't bare the thought of adding to the chaos. Well, Zac caught a frog about a week ago and was happier than a lark about it...until he "had" to give it CPR. Needless to say, the frog is no longer our pet. Zac was devistated and Steve said he could buy a frog at the pet store. So, I took him to the pet store and we looked at frogs, but they all were poisonous and they were jumping like crazy. I started getting cold feet. Finally, I convinced him that we should just keep looking for the perfect frog. To my surprise, he said, "okay, let's get out of here". So we went home and out of motherly duty, I found myself on the internet site turtleshack.com. Have you ever been to that website? Neither had I. Without thinking twice, I added three baby "red eared sliders" into my "shopping cart". Credit Card? "You got it!" Overnight shipping? "You got it!" What was I thinking!? So today, Zac woke up and went straight out to the porch to wait for the turtles to arrive, while I did a little "all too late" research on our new pets. Phrases like, "not good for children", "time consuming", "banned as pets by the government in the 70's due to salmonella"....were not really what I was hoping to find out....but from here on out, we're just going to accentuate the positive. I have been needing a new hobby to tell the truth. Turtle breeding isn't really what I would have picked, but here we go!
Waiting for the turtles to arrive:
Update: I just got back from taking all five kids to the pet store for some turtle supplies. The situation has gotten much worse....and to top it all off I just learned that turtles can live for 40 years!!!! What have I done!? Somebody in the family needs to buy a house with a pond so I can stock it with turtles for them in a few years. Don't laugh....I'm really sad about this situation that I find myself in. I need to scroll back up and look at those happy faces before I cry.
6 comments:
Angie, I love reading your posts! You have a knack for writing. 40 years will come and go before you know it.
I have always wanted those small little turtles. They look awesome!!!!! I bet the kids love em. Its been good hearing about all the kids. It keeps me connected despite my busy, overly-optometric world.
But they are so cute! And you will just have to build a little pond in the back for them. Our friend's turtle is always getting lost in the backyard. I say be brave! And as I am learning from our own compulsive pet owning, it will be OK. You might not be as great as the other turtle owners, but your turtles and kids will have an awesome experience. I'm guessing you won't feed them the right diet or keep them at the right temperature or massage their toes the right amount of time, etc. so let's just say you are looking at 28 years instead of 40...
Thanks guys! I guess I'll go crack open that $150 turtle aquarium! You all made me feel much better about this situation. I had a nightmare about giant turtles taking over my life last night, so I needed to hear positive things today!
Is it the kind of turtle that stays small or does it grow big? Brian Mecham brought small turtles back from Haiti and we got it a few years later from his bro. it was huge when we got it, my kids loved it! We had it for a few years inside and it got to big to keep in the aquarium so we made a pond for it outside, the summer before we moved back to SLC. It came up missing a few months before we moved to Salt Lake, my boys were so sad! We loved our turtle chomper and miss it, we didn't know if it was a girl or a boy! Good luck with your turtles! When we move I want to buy another turtle! Your boys are so cute and look so happy to have those turtles!
Your kids are so cute! I love this post! You are an amazing writer. I wish I had that talent.
Post a Comment